The Fine Art of Submission - with Therese Keating from Bookouture
- I learned of a new book publisher - Bookouture.
- A synopsis may not need to evoke emotion, it is more of a tool to help an editor understand the book, plot, and character arcs.
- No matter what, editors just want good stories with well structured plots, developed characters, and a solid beginning and end.
Why Bloggers are an Author's Best Friend - with Julie Morris from A Little Book Problem
- Book bloggers don't just love to read and review books, but also enjoy author Q&A's, giveaways, and other book promotional materials.
- Blog tours sound like an interesting experience and are a great way to share and promote your book.
- I should read more book blogs.
Creating Characters out of Thin Air - with Julie Cohen
- Objects and places can create symbolism and metaphors for your characters, which allows you to show their personality, backstory, and conflict.
- Internal and external conflicts should link, interact, and play off each other to create interesting and emotional stories, allowing the character arc to evolve.
- There are plenty of fun and interesting ways to create characters and just the smallest thing can give you a lot of information about a character - eg, a colour, trait, object, room, etc.
The 279 Things I've Learned in over Three Years of The Bestseller Experiment - with Mark Stay
- Setting realistic goals and working on your book each day, which includes just thinking about it, is still considered the best way to make progress on your novel.
- Keep working on something new and getting your work out there.
- I'm well on track and confident with my writing career.
Creating Conflict through Character - with Bryony Green and Julia Williams
- Romance will always be popular because readers never stop wanting escapism, hope, and happiness.
- Character-focused stories with strong internal conflicts are still the best!
- I definitely want to write Mills and Boon stories.
The Dark Art of Snappy Dialogue with Virginia Heath
I didn't attend this session live because it was on at 1:30am my time. I'm waiting to see if we get to access the webinars later...
All Almost A Princess A Short Read Awards Book Review Burdekin Characters Charity Conference Crime Novels Crime Writing Dogs In Fiction Editing Fantasy Novels Festivals Fiction Foreshadowing GenreCon Goals Just For Fun Lifestyle Motivation Plotting Point Of View Popular Fiction Group Queensland Writers Centre Rainforest Writing Retreat Reading Red Herrings Rivenhall Manor Romance Novels Romance Writers Of Australia Romantic Novelists' Association Setting Shadow Creek Books Thriller Novels Townsville Tropes TWPC Voice Writers Life Writing Writing Retreat Writing Workshop